Monday, October 29, 2012

I read, therefore I am

One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately is books. E-books specificly.

I read a lot. Sometimes I think I can't go to sleep if I don't read a little bit first. And I've always been reluctant towards e-books. I can see the advantages with having all your books on a Kindle or something similar. They weigh less, and take less space. But I still prefer having the actual book in my hand and read words on paper rather than on a screen.

But then two months ago I moved to Germany. My first thought when packing was "How many books can I take with me?". Because I could only take with me so much that I could fit in two suitcases and a sportsbag.  My dad just stared at me with a look that was a mix of disbelief and the thought "crazy girl!". Then he told me that I couldn't bring any books at all, but that I could download a program to read e-books on my computer. Considering my prejudices against e-books I decided to give it a try. And I didn't like it. Plus the source I used to download books was my local library and the only books they have is crime novels. It may be the most popular category right now, but it's also the one category I don't really like.

Anyways. I sneaked down the Lord of the Rings trilogy in my bags, and they kept me happy until earlier this week. When I finished the last book.

Although I thought I'd found a solution. When playing around with my phone I found this e-book program for it in the google play store. And a bunch of free e-books I actually wanted to read. And I found that I could live with reading books on my phone. Until the stupid thing stoped working.

So now it's just me and my computer. And I really don't like it.  But I have come to the conclusion that it's not the e-books I don't like. It's e-books in combination with my computer.

One month 'til christmas. I'll survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment