Thursday, March 27, 2014

Embracing your inner nerd

When I was a kid, I was one of those who wanted to be one of the cool kids. I wanted to feel popular. But being a nerdy bookworm was always more fun than to try to figure out how to fit in with the populars. I wanted to talk to them, but I had no idea what they talked about (not Harry Potter, I knew that much...). I wanted to play with them, but they never seemed to play. And slowly it dawned on me that being popular in school must be horribly boring. It's all about keeping up an image. Standing in a corner of the school yard during recess freezing your ass off trying to look cool rather than wearing ugly thermo pants and maybe get a bit dirty, but having the time of your life doing so because guess what; you defeated the dark lord.

I would sometimes listen to the conversations cool* kids would have. I can't really remember what I heard, but I remeber thinking that it was boring.

One conversation I do remember. We were fifteen. I was sitting outside a classroom reading, and they were further down the hall. They talked about how drunk people had been the last weekend. And how fun it was. And that was it. "Fun" for them was basically acheiving alcohol, hiding out somewhere and then drinking it. I still don't see how that is fun.

Meanwhile me and my friends had spent the same weekend making dinner together and then most likley rewatched lord of the rings and drunk several liters of tea while talking about life, the universe and everything. I still enjoy that.

I think my point with this post is that, while I used to feel hurt when my sisters teased me for being a nerd, at some point in my life I came to realise that that is what I am. I enjoy thick fantasy novels. I love discussing specific deatails in Lord of the Rings, comparing the books to the movie. I have Doctor Who posters on my wall. I still play with LEGO.

And I'm freaking proud of it!

Because that is part of me. And that allows me to not only buy that dinosour sweater I saw and fell in love with, but also proudly wear it in public :)


No comments:

Post a Comment